LoTi Framework: Which Level Are You?
Taken from:  
Taken from: https://www.smore.com/eh8fr-h-e-a-t-and-loti



Licda. Ana Patricia López Quirós.
High School Teacher and University Professor.
Saturday, March 9th, 2019.  


      LoTi Framework scale is a way to measure the levels of technology implementation in class. What this measure wants to find out is how much teachers are involved in the accurate use of technology in class. This scale presents six levels of technology implementation.  The ultimate purpose of the use of technology in class is to help students develop their critical thinking in order to solve up authentic real problems.


Level
Explanation


0 Nonuse
       This person has not leaped from the old technology used last century such as the blackboard, the charts to the state-of-the-art technology. It is clear they do not incorporate the most up-to-date features in class. They are still in their comfort zone and they are reluctant to incorporate any kind of technology in their classes.

1 Awareness
         This kind of teacher is that one that does not implement any type of technology in class, but  she lets students use technology outside the class as a complement for the class. He or she lets them go to the lab, an auditorium, or library, but he/she still refuses to use any kind of modern technological tool in the class. This teacher continues using the old technological devices such as blackboard, overhead projector and so on.

2 Exploration
         In this case, the teacher sees technology as an allied but from time to time just for extra activities that can support their teaching in class. Technology comes to provide extra help to what students see in class in a traditional way. 
3 Infusion
        The teacher uses technological programs such as Power Point, Excel, Office, or Prezi to prepare the class. Besides, the teacher takes advantage of the activities she/he might find on Internet to support what she/he already explained in class. In addition, the teacher make use of telecommunication applications such as WhatsApp or emails in order to communicate with the students or other people.


4 Integration
         Here, the teacher makes use of the technological devices in their planning. The teacher know that Internet is a powerful tool in which vast variety of information is found. However, He or she knows that students can use the information found there in order to think about the possible solutions to problems given. If it is possible, the teacher can lead the class to the high levels of use of the information by trying to solve authentic problems found in the Web.
5 Expansion
       In this case, all the class is connected to important entities such as business enterprises, universities, research institutions in order to bring the students into important centers of information where they can provide or get information in order to solve up real problems.  The whole High School is involved in the process because it affords the access to the students.
6 Refinement
        At this level, not only the teacher but also the students have complete awareness of the use of technology as an educational tool. They use it to solve up real problems. Technology is seen as an effective tool to improve the quality of life.


Self-evaluation

           After reading about all the levels of this scale and reflecting about my position in terms of the use  technology in class and in my own  personal life, I conclude that I am in stage number 3 which is Infusion. As I know that technology is here to stay,  I need to do what it takes in order to be updated with all this. Technology is an immense field of challenges and opportunities as well as of tools that can be used in class. I know I have to continue learning about this. This is great because these tools can make the teaching-learning process much easier and enchanting for both the students and for teacher. Actually, I think this is a matter of self-awareness and self-determination to get prepared in this field.
            In a year, I intend to be further in this field. After I finish the masters, I propose to  continue learning about technology because I am totally convinced that in order  to continue being competitive in this society, I need to master  two important tools: English and the use of the cutting-edge technologies. In fact, in a year, I visualize myself learning and practicing all the latest devices that can make the English class easier and more  charming for my students and me.

Steps I will follow:
1.        To finish my masters.
2.      To rest for a couple of months.
3.      To start an IT course.
4.      To continue with a more advanced IT course.

In conclusion, Technology might be an allied or an enemy. It depends on how you perceive it, you face it  and  how you use it. Depending on your level of responsibility and your desire of your personal growth, a teacher can take the time to go over all these tools, to practice them in class  and let students use them in order to develop these tech skills that they will use in the future.










Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Virtual Learning